Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ten Reasons I Love Buns



 No I’m not talking about those buns, although they are delicious.




And not the other type either, granted you can always trust someone who likes big buns because they cannot lie.


Today I write about Buns, my compadre in life, my partner in crime, my hubby, companion, significant other, the eggs to my bacon, the Batman to my Robin, the beans to my... (you get the idea.)

Nearly two decades ago the two of us boarded the train of matrimony and waved goodbye to single life. Over the years and miles I have come to realize that Buns has many things about him that have made that journey possible. Someone knew what they were doing when they got us together.

I cover just a few here.

1.       He won’t fight with me. Period. And there are times I want to, there have been moments I have gunned for conflict, pushed hard enough to drive any normal person past the point of reason and yet he will not engage. He knows my anger has a short lifespan and is patient enough to wait it out.

2.       He grows things. Where plants scream when they see me coming under his care they flourish and flower. 

3.       Little kids love him. When Buns walks into a room full of kids they flock to him. He is big and burley and intimidating to adults but those little ones see the kindness in his eyes and they cannot stay away.

4.       He fixes stuff even when he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Cars, dishwashers, science projects, toys, if it is broken he fixes it and if he doesn’t know how he finds out.

5.        He is a sucker for strays. Animals or people. If he finds anyone or anything lost or in trouble he picks them up and brings them home. Sometimes they end up staying for a long time.

6.       He is a magnificent dad. Tough when he needs to be which isn’t often and a trusted confidant the rest of the time. He is the first one to notice trouble on the horizon our children know without a doubt he has their back.

7.       He is hilarious. He swears that when he dies he wants the inscription on his headstone to read “I’ve had worse in my eye.” 

8.       He isn’t needy. Husbands of my friends can’t seem to survive ten seconds without their wives. Buns has no issue with that. If I need to be away for a day or two there are no worries. He can cook and clean, he can kiss boo boos, he can take them to the park and the zoo with no hyperventilation. 

9.       Buns is always himself. Rain or shine, church or ballgame he is always himself. There are no pretenses or putting on of air. What you see is what you get. 

10.   He never gives up on family. Ever. Even when they don’t deserve it, especially when they don’t deserve it. Family is first and nothing changes that.



President Gordon B. Hinkley quoted columnist Jenkin Lloyd Jones in a speech given at BYU. Said he,
“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. . . .

Life is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”
As we approach another anniversary of the beginning of our journey together I’m thankful for all the things Buns is. The tracks up to this point have been varied. There has been heartache, headaches, and happiness.

In all of it I’m truly grateful that we are together and am glad we will ride this train for a long time more.

Cheers,

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the bee's knees! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...